Tennant Creek CBD designated area

Getting tough on problem drinkers

The Territory Government is taking tough action to turn off the tap to problem drinkers who commit alcohol fuelled violence and crime.

To reduce alcohol related violence around licensed premises, the Tennant Creek CBD precinct will be declared a designated area under the Liquor Act. This means that from 1 October 2010:

  • police can ban any person causing alcohol fuelled violence or anti social behaviour from the designated area for up to 48 hours
  • the courts will have the power to ban offenders from the designated area for up to 12 months.

Bans may be from individual or all licensed premises in the precinct, or from the whole precinct area.

About banning notices and exclusion orders

Bans from the precinct

If a person commits a specified offence within a designated area, the police may issue a banning notice for up to 48 hours. Specified offences range from failing to leave licensed premises to serious assault and arson. A person may still be charged for the offence in addition to the banning notice. The ban may apply for all of the designated area, or one or more licensed premises within the area.

Exclusion order from the precinct

If a person commits a specified offence, or if they have received a number of banning notices for the same designated area, the person may have to appear in court where an exclusion order may be issued. The length of the ban can be for up to 12 months. A person may be banned from the entire designated area, all of the licensed premises or only some of them - this will be up to the court.

A banned person can attend a precinct for work or residential purposes.

Find out more on the designated areas.

No drinking in public in Tennant Creek

In response to an application from the Tennant Creek Town Council, the NT Licensing Commission declared the area of Tennant Creek within the town boundaries, a public restricted area.

From 1 August 2008 no-one without a permit can drink alcohol in public areas within the Tennant Creek town boundary. This means you cannot drink alcohol in parks, reserves, car parks, ovals or streets.

Alcohol can be consumed in licensed premises and private homes but not in homes that have voluntary restrictions in place. Possession and consumption of alcohol is prohibited in town camps. Some special community events also may be licensed to allow drinking by obtaining a special event permit.

Signs are located at various points around the town boundary to mark the boundary.

Find out more on liquor restricted areas.

Tennant Creek Liquor Supply Plan

This plan works hand-in-hand with other supply reduction measures. The main elements of this plan include, among other things:

  • Takeaway sales only allowed:
    • Weekdays, 2.00 pm - 8.00 pm
    • Saturday and public holidays, 12 noon - 8.00 pm
    • Sunday (hotels and clubs only), 2.00 pm - 8.00 pm
  • Sale of cask and fortified wine limited to one two litre cask or one bottle of fortified wine per person per day, between the hours of 4.00 pm and 6.00 pm
  • Takeaway port in any container is prohibited
  • No takeaway sale of beer in 750 ml and 800 ml bottles.

More information on the full Tennant Creek Liquor Supply Plan.

Special event permit

Permits can be obtained by the organisers of public festivals, community and sporting events, weddings, fundraising activities, street parties and similar functions.

The organisers of special events can apply to the Director-General of Licensing for a permit that allows alcohol to be consumed in a public restricted area during the event or function.

Applications must be lodged at least seven working days prior to the event. Permits will not be granted to minors.



  • Special event permit application for public restricted area
    • File icon(docx 50 kb)
    • File icon(pdf 27 kb)


It is an offence to drink alcohol in a public restricted area without a special event permit.

Penalties for drinking alcohol without a special event permit include:

  • removal of alcohol
  • a $100 fine
  • a fine of up to $500 if the matter goes to court
  • a possible ban from drinking.

Repeat offenders, people who receive multiple fines or are the subject of a number of complaints made to police, may be referred to the Alcohol Court for mandatory rehabilitation.

PDF documents require a PDF reader to be installed, view a list of available PDF readers.